Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Reunion - Chapter 4: Dazed


After more than a month (or two?) Chapter 4, finally! hihihi...

I already have an idea for the next Chapter (and possibly the next), but I don't have the time to write it yet. I'm thinking there would probably be a few more chapters after that, an event and a confrontation. How it'll work out I'm not yet sure, so I won't get ahead of myself.

Comment are welcome, as always (I feel like I sound like a broken record already).

Enjoy!

====================================

Chapter 4: Dazed

"Jessie?"

I was surprised when I suddenly heard James speak. I must've been so deep in thought that I didn't even notice that he was standing right next to me. It was like a repeat of the first day.

"Oh sorry, I was just thinking of something. How long have you been there?"

"Not too long, maybe around 30 minutes," he said with a smile.

"30 minutes??!!!", I said, surprised. I haven't realized how long I have been in a daze. What was I thinking anyhow? I can't even remember. Last I can remember was doing some minor corrections on the presentation aids we’ll be using.

"Yeah, you seem to have spaced out, I was on my way to the pantry to get some coffee when I passed by. I saw you looking at a distance, as if your mind was on a faraway place."

Spaced out? Maybe dozed off. "Oh sorry, didn't really mean to do that. I guess I'm getting a bit tired from doing all this overtime work."

"Then you should probably go home," James suggested. "I'm almost done with mine anyway so I can help you out tomorrow if you want to."

As he stepped forward I hastily replied, "no, it's okay, I'll manage. I also almost done - just need to do some finishing touches here and there and it should be good." Sheesh, it was just one step. It’s not like he’s gonna devour me or something.

"If that's the case then I'll leave you be then, wouldn't want to interfere." then he started walking towards the door. "Oh, by the way, I got you coffee from the pantry. It's probably cold already, but should still help keep your mind alert," he said before closing the door.

---------------------------------------------

It's been a six weeks since I started working at the company of my dreams. I can’t really complain about anything. The people are nice, the ambience is decent. My boss, though demanding, isn’t unreasonable. One thing just keeps me on permanent alert – James.

Not that he’s been bugging me or anything like that. After the first day he kept his distance for the most part, not really intruding in my work of being more than excited to pester me. It’s probably the thought that he’s around that’s making me jittery.

It wasn't all that bad. The first week was pretty light, mostly taking the time to get accustomed to my new workplace. The first assignment I had wasn't all that difficult either, and the two-week deadline they gave me was more than enough that I had to force myself to pace the work so that it'll stretch for two whole weeks. It's not that I'm overly good, but it's something that have been somewhat of a second nature to me.

Then came the hard stuff. We were supposed to create a presentation for a client and it has to be done in four weeks. And add to that the fact that they assigned to me a partner - James.

Although it has been three weeks, it feels like it was just yesterday.

---------------------------------------------

"Boss, you called for me?", I asked Terry, my boss, as I knocked on her door.

"Yes, come in. Sit down," she replied, not even bothering to look and acknowledge my presence. "Let me just finish drafting this email and then I'll get to you. Besides, we're waiting for another person anyway," she said as she was typing heavily on her keyboard. I kinda feel bad for the keyboard, as you can hear all the click even from a few feet away.

"Ok...", I just replied, then sat on one of the office chairs on her mini-conference room. It's like my office, except that my room is a bit smaller and I don't really have a place to entertain guests, other than the 2 chairs opposite my desk.

There's nothing really left to do but to wait for her to finish typing and for the other persons to come in. Good thing I didn't have to wait very long I heard a knock on the door a few minutes after.

"Just in time", Terry said. In time? They are late, I was on time. They.... wait, is that WHO I think it is?

"James?", I blurted out. Terry looked at me, then proceeded with "Good, you already know each other. Then this shouldn't take long then. James, take a seat, I'll discuss with you guys your new assignment."

"Alright", James replied. "Hi Jessie," he said nonchalantly then sat beside me.

"Wait", I said, "assignment?"

"Yes", Terry replied, "You'll be working with James on a new project. You two are the best that we have and given the scale of the project I'd have to pick the best people for it. Is there a problem Jessie?"

"No... no problem at all", I said. I know she didn't notice the slight disappointment on my tone. James seems to have noticed because he looks puzzled - or troubled?

After that first meeting with Terry James decided to divide the task and just report to each other at the end of each week to see how the other person is coming along. He seemed to have a good grasp of the project because the way he divided each task between the both of us required little to no interaction at all. I guess it was a bit of a blessing on my part because at least I don't have to work with him that much. Nonetheless it bothered me - why DID he divide the tasks like that? I mean it does make sense from one point, but was it coincidental or intentional? did he divide it like that so that I wouldn't need to talk to him? Or that he wouldn't need to talk to me?

The project hasn't even started and I'm already stressing out.

---------------------------------------------

I decided to call it a day after James found me dazing - or dozing off - at the late hours of the night. It's not the first time that I've been in that state, and from the looks of things he's getting a bit concerned. Frankly I don't know what's been happening. I guess the work is starting to get to me.

Even Mark is getting overly concerned. Being the bubbly person that he is I didn't really think that worrying would be something that he knows. But lately, he's been voicing out his concern that I'm overworking myself to the point of exhaustion - or even death. I just argue that it's a bad habit to break.

After packing up my things, as I was about to head out the door, the door opened and there he was, looking all surprised.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to intrude, I just wanted to check up on you before I leave," he said, the color on his face slowly getting drained.

"There's no need to apologize. I won't bite your head off because of it. I'm on my way out anyway." I said. He seems so cautious when around me lately, I noticed, like he doesn't want to get to my bad side at all. Maybe the first day had a big impression on him. Well, maybe a little bit too much.

"Oh, okay", he replied. That seems to have calmed his nerves a bit.

"Hey, I'm a little bit tired and I might go into another dreamless daze, is it okay if you walk me home?" I was surprised with what I said. Where did that come from? What the hell was I thinking? Did I actually ask him to walk me home? Why?

Why?

WHY??

I was hoping that he didn't hear what I said, but something about his reaction proved me otherwise.

"Uhm, ok. Yeah, sure." He said, then he started walking, leaving me behind. After a few feet he looked back and then he said smiling, "you coming?"

"Yeah," I said, then I smiled back. Oh well, might as well make the most out of the situation.

Ok, I'm blaming stress for this. Let me just get through one more week.

...

...

Still it feels nice.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment