Monday, June 15, 2015

Wedding Vows

After watching Toni G. and Direk Paul's wedding last Saturday, I was inspired to create my own "imaginary wedding vows".

-------------------------------------

For longest time I have resigned to the fact that I would be single forever, or as most people would like to call it, "Single Blessedness." Who would, in fact, have the courage, and audacity to be with someone as flawed, as imperfect, as broken, as insecure like me? But there you were, willing to take on the challenge, in spite of and despite of everything.

Who would have thought that I would get to this place? I, for one, certainly did not. Never, NEVER in my wildest dreams, that I would stand in front of the altar with you.

And so, as I stand here today, as we begin a new chapter in our lives, let me say to you things that I will not promise.

I will not promise you a life of peace, quiet, and tranquility. Most days, there would be challenges, trials, and tribulations. But I will stay with you, and be with you every step of the way, not necessarily to make things easy, but to make them bearable. I will be your companion, your wailing wall, your punching bag, your stress ball, whatever it is that you may need.

I will not promise that I won't get mad at you for the little things, in the same manner that I will not promise that I will not be irritated with you at times. But I will try to be understanding, to be patient, to see things not just from my point of view, but also from yours.

I will not promise to be the best husband, because you and I will always have differing opinions on what a "best husband" is. But I will be the best that I can be, so that you can be the best that you can be. I will be your comrade, your supporter, best friend, and most of all, your number one fan.

Lastly, I will not promise you forever, because forever is a long time. And how long I will be on this earth is something that I would not know of. I will, however, try to make the most of the time that we have, and love you the best way I know how, so that we can have our forever, even for a little while.

There are a lot of things that I could not and will not promise you. I do not wish to give you false hopes, especially to things that may not come to fruition. I will try, however, to make you happy, to the best of my ability, and ensure that apart from God, you are my priority.

And with these people, and most importantly God, as our witness, I will make the best of what we have.

I love you, and thank you for giving me a chance at happily ever after.

-------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment