Sunday, July 20, 2014

Awkward

I was thinking of including this in the "Reunion" story, but when I finished it was too short for a chapter. Also I can't figure out where to put it. So I just put it off as a separate story. Enjoy

========================================

From http://aintnogod.com/
Being in the same room with him felt awkward.

I won't ever get how he can be calm and collected. We didn't particularly part in good terms, so how he can be so casual that I was in the same room as him will be a puzzle to me. It feels like there's a big elephant in the room that he dares not acknowledge - me.

How can I fall under his radar? It's like he cannot see me, until one person points it. And then, I disappear as quickly as he acknowledges my presence. It's like magic. Or selective sight. I dunno.

I tried to stay away from his personal space as much as I can. I'm not as good as him when it comes to compartmentalizing my life. He can fully separate his work life with his personal - and even his romantic life. I never had the capability of doing that. I always felt that one part interacts with the other, and they can never be separated.

I was completely deep in my thoughts when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It took me a while to get out of my trance, but when I did, I was deeply surprised. Whether I should be pleasantly surprised or otherwise, I'm still debating.

"Linda is calling for you", he said.

Of course, Linda. It has to be Linda. It's not like he would intentionally go up to me and talk to me. It doesn't work like that - he doesn't work like that.

Out of his radar, remember?

I said "ok", and with a sigh headed to Linda's direction. At least she could keep my mind off unnecessary thoughts.

"Hi Linda, what's up?" I asked when I was within her range.

"Hi, I was looking for you! Congratulations on the big account. Looks like someone's gonna get a promotion!" she said with her usual big grin.

"Thanks", I shyly responded.

Linda's one of the chirpiest people in the office. Whatever she lacks in skill she makes up for her positive outlook. I wish some of it would rub off on me, I would really need some of it right now.

We talked for a few minutes. Actually she talked for a few minutes and I listened. She raved about how good of a job I did, how it boosted people's morale, how she's sure a promotion is underway. It was a good way of taking my mind things off unnecessary things - him, for instance. Sadly, it was short. Within 10 minutes, she ran out of things to say. With nothing better to hold me back to this sad excuse of a party, I excused myself, telling her a lame excuse about how my cat was left alone and I need to feed her.

"Oh that poor dear. You definitely should go home," she seemed oblivious that it was just a pathetic excuse to get out of the party. Truth be told I didn't have any cats at home, or any pet for that matter.

I decided to take advantage of the situation before she realizes how lame of an excuse it was. I took my coat and was halfway through the door when someone called me back.

"Leaving so soon?" it was him.

"Yeah, feeling tired already. Plus my cat needs feeding." I said. Plus I didn't want to be anywhere near you right now.

"Ah I see. Okay. Go get some rest then. Congratulations again." he said, and then turned. Before I was able to mutter a half hearted "thanks", he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment