Sunday, September 29, 2013

Love stories

From weheartit.com
I love reading love stories. It's sort of a way for me to "live" life in a way I probably wouldn't. It's a way to dream about things that wouldn't probably happen to me.

I'm a hopeless romantic. In as much as I am a "realistic" person, I often dream of finding that "someone" I would probably spend the rest of my life with. Yeah, dreamy. But up to this day, it still remains as a dream.

Although I love reading love stories, I sometime feel that they tend to "simplify" the topic of love, as if it is something that happens in an instant. But from experience, it isn't necessarily the case. More often than not, it's more complicated than most of us could handle.

I hate it when people write as though everything can be resolved in an instant, how all those problems magically straightens out in a blink of an eye. But seriously, is that really the case? It rarely is. I find that most people create such stories (stories that would magically tie up loose ends in the end) because the story is already too long. Or they can't think of anything else to write, so they tend to abruptly cut the story short. Especially when it is a "you and me against the world" kind of drama.

I believe that life never really gets settled, that everything never falls into place when the story is about to end. As they say, life is unfair, and so should "realistic" stories. Most of the times, though, love stories tend to dwell on the "ideal" side. But that rarely happens. More often than not, what makes it look like that everything is resolved is how we deal with them, or how we perceive them. But that doesn't actually resolve the problems, do they?

But then again, maybe it's that "fantasy" that everything falls into place that makes it most attractive. Because, as our nature dictates, we dream of things we know we cannot have.

No comments:

Post a Comment