Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reunion - Chapter 2: Mark


Chapter 2 of my previous post


I still don't have a clear idea on what happens next after this, so it might take a while before the story gets a follow-up. Anyway I hope you like it. :)


====================================

Chapter 2 – Mark

It was a bit late when I got off from work – for a first day it was pretty hectic. I had the whole morning for HR and company orientations and the latter part of the day was spent trying to familiarize myself with the job. It was pretty busy, but it was ok for the most part. Well, maybe except for James passing by every fifteen minutes or so trying to see if I was okay or if I need help. It’s not like I don’t have the capacity to do my own work – I wouldn’t have been hired if I the company thinks I’m good for nothing..

It’s a good thing that James left earlier than I did – at least after he left, everything felt a lot easier. Having him around for some reason made it really hard to concentrate – really hard. And him popping up every few minutes or so wasn’t helping. Seriously, that guy can be much clingier than a puppy. That’s what I hated about him – and liked about him too.

After leaving work I had no place to go to so I decided to just stay home and have dinner there. I called Mark to tell him that I just left the office and that I would be home in a couple of minutes. It’s a good thing that the office is around 5 minutes away from the subway, and that my place is just two stops away. At least I wouldn’t have to walk too far to get home.

On the way to the subway I heard someone call my name. I didn’t figure out who it was until he was a few feet away – it was James. Didn’t he leave earlier?

"Hey on your way home?" he said with a smile.

"Yeah just left the office," I said. Is he stalking me or something? Seriously.

"Oh, must be pretty tough for a first day."

"You have no idea," I just replied. Having him around isn’t really helping my cause.

"How about we grab some dinner? I’ll treat you for surviving the first day," then he smiled.

Seriously? Two treats in a day? Now I feel like I’m a dog being trained for a competition. I would’ve wanted to ask "Don’t you have anything else to do that stalk me?" but that’s a bit too much. In as much as I wanted to I probably wouldn’t have the guts to say it to his face.

"No I think I’ll pass. Besides, Mark is waiting for me."

"Mark?" he asked, bemused.

"Yeah, he’s a guy I met a couple of years back."

"Oh…."

The mention of Mark’s name had the effect on James that I didn’t actually expect. His shoulders hunched, and all of a sudden it’s as if all the life force went out of him. It wasn’t the prettiest sight to behold, but for some reason it made me smile.

"What are you smiling about?" He asked.

"Oh nothing, I just remembered something," I said. And before he can make any comeback I said that I really have to hurry and left him there.

---------------------------------------------

I got home earlier than Mark. All the while I thought he was already at home when I called him earlier but apparently he wasn’t. Or maybe he left for a bit to get something. Whatever it was I decided to take out some of the vegetables from the fridge and make some stir-fry. It’s not like those that you would see in restaurants but Mark really likes it when I cook. That may be due to the fact that he has no culinary skills whatsoever.

A little after I finished cooking somebody rang the door. It’s probably Mark – who else could it be? I was washing my hands to get to the door when it rang a second time.

"Just a minute!”, sheesh, Mark really doesn’t like to wait.

As if on cue the doorbell keep or ringing until I got to the door. When I opened, there was Mark with a box of pizza on his hands.

"Hey girlfriend what took you so long?" he asked with an annoyed look on his face.

“Sorry girlfriend I was finishing something up in the kitchen," I just replied.

"Oh, I thought you were already making out with someone you met at work," then he winked.

"Silly. Here let me get that." I took the box of pizza from his hands and went to the dining room. "Technically you’re a guest but since you practically live here go find someplace you can be comfortable."

"Do I look like a stray cat to you?” he said with a smirk. Now I know where I get all those sarcastic remarks.

"Hush. In as much as I want to think that you are I know you hate pussies," I joked.

"Amen to that girlfriend," then we both laughed.

---------------------------------------------

"So how was your first day?" Mark asked while munching on a piece of pizza.

"Didn’t your mother teach you any manners?" I asked.

"No, but she taught me to keep my mouth rounded and be careful not to use my teeth when sucking," he replied with a wink.

"Somebody needs to clean that mouth of yours. Sometimes I wonder why I kept you all those years," I joked.

"Well it’s because you need some entertainment in your life. Anyway enough about me; you still haven’t told me about your first day."

"There’s nothing to say. It was the typical first day on the job – orientations, orientations, and more orientations."


"Really? Why do I sense something else?" then he leaned closer.

Mark sure has a knack for sensing when I try to hide something.

"It’s nothing. I just saw James at work today."

"James? As in THE James?" His eyes wide with excitement. Mark really loves drama when it happens – especially to me.

"Yes, the James. The James that vanished out of thin air."

"And?" he replied, asking for more details.

"And nothing, end of story," I just replied. "Can we just go back to eating dinner?"

"No, that’s too boring, let’s talk about James and your first day."

Mark. When he’s set on something it’s hard to shake him off.

"No, let’s go back to dinner. Or no dessert for you.” I replied, sternly.

"Awwwww you’re no fun." Then he went back to eating his half-finished pizza. "Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?"

I felt a bit defensive by Mark’s question. It felt like there was still something that bothers me when it comes to James. It’s been years – 12 years, but who counts – since he vanished. It’s not like he’s gonna make an impact on me now. He shouldn’t. He couldn’t. So why would it bother me to talk about it?

"Fine, but after dinner. Then, we talk." It might just be my imagination but for a second I thought I saw his eyes sparkle.


I thought the day was over – it might have just begun.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment