Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reunion - Chapter 1: Encounter


Part 1 of (hopefully) a running story. 


This is purely fictional. Any similarities to actual persons or events are purely coincidental.

On another note, I realized that 2 of the main characters - Jessie and James - kinda form Team Rocket from Pokemon. That was never planned. :P

Enjoy.

====================================

Chapter 1 - Encounter

"Jessie?"

I was stopped on my tracks at the mention of my name. It’s been years since somebody called me that, and it was only by one person. After all those years, I didn’t think that I would actually meet him again, much more at work. Apparently, fate has another thing in mind.
>
I was pondering on whether to face the person that called my name or simply walk away, pretend that I didn’t hear him. While I was bemusing on this fact though, I heard him say my name one more time, this time louder – or probably closer.

"Jessie, hey is that you?"

I didn’t know whether to run or say hi – or worse, pretend that I didn’t know him. I guess pretending not to know him would be a bit off right now, given the history we had. But then again, it’s been so long that I could probably feign it. It would be awkward, though, since it seems like we’ll be working together.

"Oh, hi, James. Fancy meeting you here."

"Yeah, it’s been so long. So you work here now?"

"Yeah, I started today, actually."

"Cool. When I heard they hired a person to work in the team I had no inkling it would be you. I guess I should’ve figured it out when they described you."

Described me? As if I’m a piece of fine china? Puh-lease.

"Oh really, who would’ve thought? Had I known we would be working together I wouldn’t have taken the job." Okay, that was a little too bitter-sounding. Maybe I should say something else "I’m kidding, by the way."

"Well, kidding has been one of your strong suits." Then he smiled. I’m not sure if that was to feign annoyance or he's just plain dense, as always.

Before our chat could get any longer I decided to get away. "Anyway, I got to go. I still need to take care of some stuff before actually starting my shift."

"Oh yeah you’ll need to do some more HR orientations and all those company policy thing. You go ahead. How about lunch later?", he said with a smile.

Sheesh. That smile. It always made me swoon and feel jelly all over. Still do until today, although a bit less. Okay, maybe not.

"Sorry, I don’t think I can today. Maybe some other time", and before he could say something else, I stormed off.

---------------------------------------------

It’s been years – 14 years, I think, but who counts – since James and I met. We met at a small coffee shop near where I worked – I was having my usual afternoon coffee when he suddenly approached me and asked if the seat beside me was taken. I usually had my coffee alone during those times, so the obvious answer would be a "no". Then, as if on cue he sat beside me and introduced himself. I don’t know what went over his head that made him approach me that time – I mean I’m not ugly, but I’m not the very definition of beautiful either. I was, for the most part, average in the looks department. I guess it was because the coffee shop didn’t have a lot of seats that sharing a table with a complete stranger is very plausible. Then again, it’s not something that happened very often. If at all, most people just got their coffee and headed out the door right after.

Another one followed that first encounter, a few days later, then another, and another. Eventually it was like our afternoon habit – we would meet in that dainty cozy coffee shop in the afternoon and talk about anything and everything under the sun – or in most cases – under the moon. It wasn’t long till we fell in love, and it was probably the most romantic and happiest two years of my life - until he suddenly stopped. One day, he suddenly disappeared – without a trace. No more afternoon coffee, no more walks in the park – all of a sudden, nothing. I don’t know what was worse – being dumped in your face or being left alone without so much as an explanation.

The few years after that was the most difficult times of my life – I fell into a downward spiral – I almost lost my job, even. It was a good thing that Mark was there– he helped me in my most trying times, and eventually I was able to get back up on my feet. I decided to move out of my apartment, and get another job. After a few more years everything was going so well that I was able to get the job at a prestigious firm I was eyeing for so long.

The only drawback – I’ll be working with him.

---------------------------------------------

Late that afternoon after all the company orientation I was getting a bit more settled into my work when someone knocked on my pedestal – James.

"Hey I’m gonna get some coffee. Do you want some?", James asked.

"No thanks, I’m fine, I’ll just get some when I feel like having it", I replied.

"You sure? There’s a pretty good coffee shop just around the corner. I’m pretty sure you’ll like it."

"No thanks, I can manage. I’ll get to it when I have more time."

"Tell you what - I’ll just get you your coffee. It’ll be on me this time," he said, and then left before I could object. He was mostly like that – never taking a "no" for an answer. I guess that didn’t change during the past 12 years.

Now I’m having second thoughts if I really should’ve taken this job.

Well, at least I have a few weeks to weigh things out – worse comes to worst I would quit my job and start from scratch. I would have enough savings to last me a few more months being jobless – I think I’ve been quite prudent in case something unexpected happens – and this would definitely fall into that category.

I’ll also need to talk this through with Mark – he’s the person that would best know what to do, I think. But that’ll have to wait until I get home. Right now, I need to keep my state of mind intact – and away from him.

After thirty minutes James was back with the coffee – black for him, mine with a little bit of cream and hazelnut. He still remembers my favorite drink, although that might have just been coincidence. I said thanks nonchalantly and went back to whatever I was doing – well, more like pretended to go back to whatever I was doing. Having him lingering while I work makes concentrating rather difficult. He seems to have noticed, and said that he’ll be leaving me to get back to his work, and that next time I would buy him coffee.

This might be the longest day of my life.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment