Saturday, May 18, 2013

Reunion - Chapter 3: Surprise

This is the third chapter of the story I was writing. It might not be as fluid as the first two though. Sorry about that.

Anyway this is like a recap of the events that happened in Chapter 1 and 2, but from the perspective of the other person, James.

As usual, comments are always welcome. This is a very rough draft, so it might change a bit (or drastically), depending on the feedback.

Anyway, enjoy. :)


====================================

Chapter 3 - Surprise

Monday - it's just like any other day. I wake up, do my morning routine, prepare for work and head off. Today's a bit different though - everyone was abuzz that a new employee will be coming in today. I didn't really get much detail, except that she had previously worked at one of the best firms in the industry, and that she's really good. Little did I know that I would be in for a really big surprise.

I got in the office a little past 9. Most of the people were already in the office, in their cubicles, reading emails that came in the night before. I went to the pantry to get some coffee - same routine I had since I started a few years back. Some of the girls were in the pantry, having their usual breakfast chatter. Topic for the day seemed to be the new hire.

"I heard that she was pirated from our competitor", one of the girls said.

"She must be really good. I mean, the boss doesn't just take anyone", another one said.

"Linda from HR told me that she gets promoted every year - I've never even thought that was possible."

"I just hope that she doesn't turn out to be a monster who'll make us work to death", one of the girls replied as they headed out.

After finishing my coffee I started heading back to my desk. On my way back I saw the HR personnel show the new guys around. I didn't really care that much until I saw one girl that looked pretty familiar.

"Jessie?" I blurted out.

The girl froze on the spot, seemingly startled by my voice. For a moment I thought that she would just go ahead and walk away as if she didn't hear me, so I was elated when she turned around.

"Oh, hi. James. Fancy meeting you here." she replied. She didn't sound too happy to see me.

"Yeah, it’s been so long. So you work here now?” Duh. She probably wouldn't be here if she doesn’t.

“Yeah, I started today, actually.”

“Cool. When I heard they hired a person to work in the team I had no inkling it would be you. I guess I should’ve figured it out when they described you.”

“Oh really, who would’ve thought?Had I known we would be working together I wouldn’t have taken the job. I'm kidding, by the way.” Ouch. That hurt. And that didn't sound like she was kidding. Still, I couldn't let it get to me. After all, it was my fault. I just brushed it aside.

"Well, kidding has been one of your strong suits." Okay, maybe not. I've known her as someone pretty straightforward and has a bit of a dry sense of humor, but I have to say something; anything to keep the conversation going.

I was thinking of other things to talk about when she suddenly said that she still needed to finish some things before working. It seemed like she wanted to get away, as if the air was suffocating her. Before she left I asked her if she wanted to have lunch later, but she declined and stormed off.

Well, it's official - she hates me.

But that doesn't mean I'm gonna give up. It was a mistake letting her go then. I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

---------------------------------------------

I wasn't able to concentrate the whole day. Seeing Jessie again stirred up a lot of emotions I've tried to bury for so long. I thought that all those years apart would've made what I feel for her wane, but apparently it only got worse. At one point I was afraid of it, but not anymore. I said to myself that if I would get to see her again, I would try to make things right.

I passed by every now and then at her desk. I found some excuse to pass by, either dropping by the pantry, going to the restroom, or just stopping by at her desk and see how she's doing. At one point I even went over and asked her if she wanted some coffee and that I'll get her one - with a little bit of cream and hazelnut, her favorite drink back then. Maybe that'll send her some signal that I didn't forget about her, and that I still remember everything.

I left the office earlier than usual. As I passed by I saw that she was still engorged in her work. What could she possibly be doing on her first day that would make her so busy? I guess she didn't get promoted yearly for nothing. She needs to take care of her health though. Maybe I should offer to get her home or have dinner to make sure she's eating right? I have nothing better to do anyway, so I guess I'll just wait for her downstairs. I went to the nearest bistro, ordered a cup of coffee and waited by the window to make sure I won't miss her when she passes by.

An hour later I saw her pass by - my waiting paid off. I wasn't really sure if she would be passing by this area or not - she might have a car to pick her up after work after all. Luckily for me she didn't, and from the looks of it she would be travelling by subway. I quickly left my seat and headed out - I don't remember her moving this fast. She normally moves at a leisurely pace. Then it hit me - maybe she's trying to avoid me?

I followed Jessie across the street going to the subways, but I didn’t think I would be able to catch up so I decided to call out hoping she would hear me. It seemed like she did, because she slowed down and turned around. When she realized who was calling her, she seemed surprised.

"Hey on your way home?" I said as I caught up with her.

"Yeah just left the office," she replied. I hope she didn’tt think I was stalking her or anything.

"Oh, must be pretty tough for a first day.", as usual I was trying to pick up myself. I didn't realize she still had that effect on me.

"You have no idea" was all that she said. Somehow it felt that she was implying something else, but I might be wrong.

"How about we grab some dinner? I’ll treat you for surviving the first day," I hope she didn't have any plans.

"No I think I’ll pass. Besides, Mark is waiting for me."

"Mark?" Okay, who's Mark?

"Yeah, he’s a guy I met a couple of years back."

"Oh..." was all that I could reply. I didn't really consider that there would be someone else in her life. It was stupid of me, really, it's been 12 years since we last saw each other. And with how Jessie looks, it wouldn't be a surprise that she's found someone else.

I must've looked like a complete idiot because when I got out of my self-loathing I noticed that she was smiling - or maybe smirking. "What are you smiling about?" I asked.

"Oh nothing, I just remembered something," she replied. Well, whatever she remembered she's having a pretty good time. And it's making me feel even worse.

"Sorry but I really need to go," she said. "Talk to you tomorrow?" and before I could reply she headed off and disappeared in the crowd.

---------------------------------------------

I wasn't able to think of anything else but Jessie on my way home. She's still cute, happy, and pretty transparent. She still had the same childlike aura when I met her a couple of years back. Somehow, though, I feel like something has changed. It's like she has hardened, probably as a result of what she's been through the years. And I probably contributed to that. Or maybe even Mark.

Who is that Mark anyway? How did they meet? Did they meet at the coffee shop? Did he go over to her and ask if the seat beside her was taken, just like I did? Did he strike a conversation? How long have they been together? Somehow all these questions keep popping up and I can't seem to find any answers.

Maybe I should try to find out? I could find out where they live, what they do, and what they're like. I could find out what he's like. Okay, maybe I'm being a stalker here. I wouldn't want to creep her out - much more make myself look like an idiot in the process. I should probably keep it cool and see how things would work out the next couple of days.

But that'll be hard with her around.

I'll need to keep my distance in the meantime - at least until I could keep myself in check and be able to talk to her casually. We might be working for a really long time and I would have all that time to know her once again.

Unless she's married. Please no, don't let her be married.

Two surprises in one day. Oh well, I hope there's a better surprise coming to me next few days.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment