Sunday, August 30, 2009

Staying or leaving

So after all that has been said and done, I'm still here.

I haven't done much writing though... wonder if it's my apathy kicking in...

Anyway...

Last week my manager approached me for the result of my annual review. What basically transpired from our discussion was what I was expecting all along. Well, too much of it anyway. He didn't say anything that I didn't already know. It was mostly a confirmation.

Sometimes I wonder if that happened because it was what I was expecting. In some cases, I think it did. Due to the obvious limitations, I've started to limit myself into boundaries in which I won't feel much disappointment, if ever it occurred.

Not to say that I wasn't wishing for a bigger pay, or a promotion for that matter. In fact, I was hoping. But I guess hoping and expecting are two different matter, each with their own level of disappointment. In my case, I often take the 'path of less disappointment'. And there kicks in my way of thinking: "expect the worst and hope for the best".

In any case, I've already informed him that there are opportunities outside. My dad has been telling me to go New Zealand (where my sister and her family migrated) and look for a job there. According to him, there are a lot of IT openings in New Zealand, so it would be a good opportunity for me. One part of me wants to take that opportunity (mainly because of financial reasons), but a part of me also doesn't want to. Why? I still have a few things I wanted to accomplish, at least before I leave. Besides, I don't want to be tagged as the 2-year contract boy (in case you're wondering, I resigned in my previous company right after my bond expired. Don't want to repeat history).

Two years ago, my main concern for leaving the company was because of the career growth. Now, it's a little bit of that, but more of the financial opportunities.

Ahh... Recession really hits, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes bro..and hope this economic crisis will end soon...thats why we ought to take good opportunities while its still there...(:

    ReplyDelete