Monday, April 13, 2009

How to improve team spirit

I've been having discussions with a new group these past few days, and I must say what I've been learning a lot from them. What makes what I learn believable is the fact that they actually do what they preach.

This is one of the lessons that have struck me the most. You might think it's simple, but it's a lot harder to practice. And the lesson is: "When you're up, go down. When you're down, go up."

Contradicting? Not really. If put in the right context, it'll make sense. What it basically means is that when you're happy (or up), tell the people below you (meaning you're subordinates and/or team members) about it. If you're sad, depressed (or down, you get the picture), tell your manager/lead about it, and they can help you.

This is, for me, one of the most striking lessons so far. Primarily because I can actually see how it can be applied at my work. Telling positive things to your subordinates can actually improve their morale and their dedication to the team. Telling your issues and concerns to your leaders/managers can help you gain insight, since they have greater experience.

Seems like a simple task, but in reality, it rarely gets practiced.

Hopefully, I can start practicing this so that other people in our team can emulate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment