Monday, August 5, 2013

Reunion - Chapter 6: Breakfast


Chapter six... Wrote 3 new chapters in a span of 2 weeks (or less!) And I have a few ideas on what to write for the next few chapters.

Looks like I won't be finishing this in 10 short chapters as I originally hoped. Let's just hope that I would be able to in less than 15 (or 20).

Anyway, if ever you see any wrong grammar or spelling just let me know. I wrote this on a fly without any proof reading or what have you. Trying to proof read this thing by myself is a bit biased, IMHO.

====================================

Chapter 6 - Breakfast

The sun was already high in the sky when I woke up. I glanced at the clock beside my table - it's already 1PM. I must've been really tired. First I got caught up in a dreamless daze in the office, and now I woke up late. I wasn't even able to change to my pajamas after I got home. Good thing it was a Saturday, I can wake up pretty late if I wanted to.

I wanted to sleep a little bit more but it seems that I've already charged my whole system. My stomach was starting to grumble too, given the length of sleep I had. I decided to go down and get myself something to eat. I should have some cereals or some bread ready to be consumed.

As I was heading down the stairs, I noticed the familiar smell of toast and bacon. I figured that Mark must've let himself in and is cooking something up. Mark, he's always rummaging through my pantry and eating anything he likes.

I tiptoed my way to the kitchen, hoping to surprise Mark. That bastard may have thought he'll get a free meal, but he’ll soon realize how wrong he is. When I reached the kitchen, I saw Mark busying himself with whatever he's cooking.

He has his back on me. Great. The element of surprise is still with me. Wait, Mark's not that tall. And since when did he develop those shoulders? I thought he was going for the feminine look?

Wait... it can't be... is that...

"James?"

---------------------------------------------

James turned around, seemingly not surprised. "Oh great you're awake, I'm almost done preparing breakfast." He said as he smiled.

"But how did you get in?” I asked. He didn't have a key, did he? That would be soooo creepy.

"Oh you forgot that you invited me over yesterday?" he said. "You must've been really tired you forgot."

"I remember asking you to walk me home, but I don't remember inviting you in."

"Well, you did. When we got to your place you asked me if I wanted to have coffee, and I said yes. You said you'll just change quickly but you never went down after, so I figured you must've dozed off."

"And you didn't leave?"

"Nope, I slept in the couch. I woke up a few hours ago. I figured you'd be hungry by the time you woke up so I decided to cook up some breakfast."

Did I really invite him over? How come I can't even remember?

"Don't worry, I didn't do anything stupid", saying as if to ease my doubts. "I just slept here to make sure that you're fine. I'm pretty sure Mark wouldn't mind."

Mark? Was he into this? That bastard. He'll pay dearly for his crimes.

"Anyway, why don't you sit down? There's toast, eggs and bacon. I've squeezed some oranges as well; I figured some juice would do you some good."

I was still perplexed by the whole situation, but my hunger was getting the best of me. I decided to just sit on one of the stools beside the counter top. There were three plates on it - one for the toast, one for the eggs, and one for the bacon. There was a pitcher of orange juice and two empty glasses. They look so mouth-watering.

James must've seen how hungry I was because he suddenly gestured me to eat. "Don't worry I didn't put anything on it. You can start without me, I'll just finish this last batch and then I'll join you."

Defensive. I didn't even think that he placed anything on the food. He wouldn't dare... would he? If he did put in something, then I'd rather die with my stomach full than empty.

I took a toast, some bacon and egg and placed it on my plate. I started to nibble on the bacon, making crunching sounds as I bite off every piece. The egg was perfect, the sides were all even and no bubbles were formed. The toast was seasoned with a little of butter and sugar, complementing the saltiness of the bacon. I never knew he could cook. He's better at this than I.

I was enjoying the hearty breakfast too much that I didn't even notice how fast I was devouring it. "Whoah there cowboy, take it easy. You might get indigestion", he said. I didn't mind him though. I was too hungry to worry about indigestion at that moment.

Then, without warning, I choked. I should've heeded his warning to slow down. And now I'm gonna die because of gluttony.

"I told you to take it easy," James reprimanded. He got the pitcher and poured some juice on one of the glasses and handed it over to me. "Here," he said, "drink up, it'll help."

I instinctively reached out for the glass he was holding, only to realize that he was still holding the glass when I reached out for it. As soon as I touched his hands, jolts of electricity went through my body.

Okay, I'm seriously gonna die now.

"Jessie, are you alright?" James said as I struggled to get some air. He went past me and held my back, assisting me drink some juice from the glass. I had difficulty drinking at first, but whatever was choking me eventually got washed down by the drink.

Death by gluttony turned death by embarrassment. Either way I'm still dead.

I must've looked ridiculous because James can't help but laugh.

"What's so funny? I almost died!" I shouted.

That made him laugh even harder. Somehow he found the whole ordeal very funny.

I decided to walk out. I wasn't going to put up with this humiliation. It's enough that I almost died twice within 30 minutes.

However, as I stood up and started walking, James followed and held my arm.

---------------------------------------------

"Let go", I sternly said.

"Hey I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you," he said. I didn't bother looking at him; I might just slap him on the face.

"Hey come on, I'm sorry..." his voice trailing. I felt the sincerity of his voice, but I just couldn't calm myself.

"Come here", he said, and then he pulled me to him. I was surprised by his sudden movement that I lost my balance. He was quick to his feet though, he was able to catch me with the littlest effort. Before I knew it I was leaning on to him.

We've never been this close before. From this distance I could hear his heartbeat - slow, but steady. His arms felt strong but gentle, as if it's keeping me safe from anything and everything that may hurt me. It's a good thing that I was already leaning on him; I don't think that I would be able to stand on my own at this state.

I looked up and saw his eyes, full of sincerity, full of assurance. Without any words, it was as if he's swaying me to trust him. Slowly, he drew in closer and closer...

My heart was beating so fast it's as if it was trying to get out.

Looking at him, all my defenses crumbled, and all I could do was give in to the moment.

I closed my eyes, anticipating what's going to happen next....

------

The sudden ringing of the phone woke me up. I looked at the clock and it was 10AM. Groggily I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"WHERE ARE YOU?!!!” Mark demanded. "Aren't we supposed to meet up at 9???!!!"

Oh, right, we were supposed to meet up today. We were supposed to go the mall to stalk his crush.

"Sorry, I just woke up," I said, "I slept late last night from all the work."

"Fine, whatever, just get here ASAP!", then he hung up. That demanding bitch.

I laid motionless on my bed for a couple of minutes after Mark's call. I was trying to digest what happened. I was dreaming, but it felt too real. I could still feel my heart pumping heavily. Was it really just a dream?

I need to get out. I need to shake this off and Mark will be a good distraction.

If he doesn't learn about my dream first.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment